New Solis Site, Barcelona – An example of the latest building techniques to minimise environmental impact.
Business sustainability is a key operating principle and one of the three pillars of Thermo Fisher’s Corporate Social Responsibility efforts. We are continually seeking new ways to meet our customers' needs, while being environmentally responsible in the way we run our business.
Product and facility highlights:
- Landfill avoidance: working with 4 major European sites to achieve Zero Waste to landfill certification to divert more than 90% of waste from landfill
- Safety Data Sheets for chemicals will be sent out electronically from 3rd August 2020
- Starting to convert our cold-chain coolers from EPS foam to a 100% paper cooler
- Our Gothenburg site in Sweden is BREEAM certified
The Fisher Scientific channel currently has 13 sites that have become Zero Waste facilities, diverting more than 90% of waste stream from landfills.
We are currently working on the certification of 4 major sites in Europe.
Look for the green leaf icon under SPECIAL PROGRAMS in your Narrow Results filter to find our Greener Choice products.
Greener Choice products meet the following criteria in order to earn this:
- Offer one or more environmental benefits including Energy Star certified, biodegradable, photodegradable, recyclable, made with renewable materials, non-toxic and compostable.
- Contain attributes that are environmentally preferable to products within the same category
- Assurance that the environmental benefit claims remain substantiated over time
- Contain a signed Certificate of Compliance from the supplier stating that all environmental claims on the products (or line of products) sold by Thermo Fisher Scientific comply with local rules governing environmental marketing claims
Decrease your quantity of physical shipments without changing your ordering cycles using our Scheduled Shipment Program.
Download literature electronically to reduce transportation and paper usage; more than 950 digital brochures and other literature are now available.
Consolidate your orders to reduce the use of transportation and fossil fuels and decrease greenhouse gas emissions.
RightCycle by Kimberly-Clark Professional
Your company needs an effective solution to mitigate waste and help you reach your Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability goals. RightCycle makes it easy to recycle previously hard-to-recycle products like garments and nitrile gloves. Now the KimtechTM garments and gloves used in your facility can be turned into a variety of useful, eco-friendly products. Reach your zero landfill goals with the RightCycle program, currently available in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Belgium and Spain.Learn More
Useful links and certifications
Here at Fisher Scientific, we recognise that in matters of environment, health and safety policy, as well as in technical matters, the process of improvement is continuous. The search for higher quality standards in all activities is treated with the highest importance.
Fisher Scientific conducts its business responsibly, and in a manner designed to protect the health and safety of its employees, customers and the public. It also seeks to reduce the impact of its activities on the environment. We believe that good environment, health and safety performance is an essential part of competent and profitable business management. To that end, Fisher Scientific is committed to continuous improvement of that performance. The policies detailed here have the full support of Fisher Scientific UK Ltd's Management Team, and the details of the work completed illustrate our belief in those policies.
All of our customers and suppliers are involved in Health and Safety and some have certified Environmental Management Systems, or are developing them.
Fisher Scientific recognises its role in assisting all companies we work with to achieve their business management needs in these areas. This has been put together to help you with your questions and to let you know how seriously we at Fisher Scientific view our responsibilities and demonstrate our commitment to continual improvement.
Fisher Scientific UK's policy is to conduct its business responsibly, and in a manner designed to protect the health and safety of its employees, its customers and the public. It also seeks to minimise the impact of its activities on the environment through continuous improvement.
In line with the requirements of ISO 14001:2004, Fisher Scientific UK Ltd will, as a matter of policy:
- Comply with all relevant legislation, local regulatory controls, codes of practice and industry standards including corporate governance where this is compatible with territory legislation;
- Use processes, practices, materials and/or products that avoid, reduce or control pollution in all spheres of our operation where practical. We aim to deal effectively with any accidents or incidents to reduce any environmental threat. Any complaints, either internal or external, will be investigated;
- Reduce the environmental impact of our products, processes and services where reasonably practicable. Any environmental impacts inherent in the development of products will be similarly assessed before their introduction.
- Identify, monitor, evaluate and implement waste minimisation opportunities where practicable. This will be done using the waste minimisation hierarchy.
- Continually improve our environmental performance through the setting and reviewing of appropriate objectives and targets;
- Provide advice to customers on the safe carriage, handling, use and disposal of our products;
- Communicate this policy with anyone working with or on behalf of the company in order to promote environmental principles, by sharing and exchanging information with regulators, professional associations, suppliers, customers and employees;
- Establish and maintain an Environmental Management System to ISO 14001:2004 requirements.
- Train all employees to be aware of, and consider the reduction of adverse environmental impacts from their activities.
This policy will be regularly reviewed and revised as necessary.
Health & Safety
The maintenance of high standards of Health and Safety for all employees, customers and the public is a subject to which Fisher Scientific UK Ltd attaches particular importance.
It is Fisher Scientific UK policy to promote continuous improvement in the health, safety and welfare of its employees insofar as is reasonably practicable, by:
- The provision and maintenance of plant, systems and working environments that are safe, without risks to health and adequate with regard to facilities and arrangements for the welfare of employees at work;
- Making arrangements for ensuring safety and absence of risk to health in connection with the use, handling, storage and transport of equipment and materials;
- The provision of the appropriate information, instruction, training and competent supervision;
- The internal publication of performance measures;
- The conduct of operations in such a way as to ensure that the surrounding population and visitors to the site are not exposed to health or safety risks;
- Ensuring joint consultation with employees in the achievement of the aims of this policy;
- Contributing towards the formation of and observing all relevant codes of practice;
- Monitoring the effectiveness of such an overall policy through the EHS Committee;
- Developing an annual plan which highlights key tasks for the organisation and;
- Auditing systems to maintain high standards of compliance.
This policy will be regularly reviewed and revised as necessary.